Meaningful Activities to Get to Know Your Students

Getting to know you activities for any grade

The beginning of the school year is a fun, exciting time of year. It’s a time for new beginnings and a fresh start. Before I dive into curriculum work, I feel it is essential to get to know who my students are. Knowing how they think, feel, their likes and dislikes have always helped me to continually engage them in classroom activities. Taking time the first days of the school year is very important to me.

This year, I am going to start the school year with a few different activities. I will admit, these activities all play double duty; meaning they allow me to kill two birds with one stone. This is another essential in the beginning of the year when time is not on my side. Having activities serve more than one purpose helps to alleviate stress. 

This is a new activity I will try out with my students. It is titled, “Three Things I Want My Teacher to Know  The activity is pretty straightforward and simple. Each student will choose three things about their life that they would like to share with me to allow me to get to know them better. I will complete one and read mine to them as a model. 

This activity will serve a few purposes for the first days of school. This year I am teaching sixth grade English language arts. I am not sure of what my students writing abilities will be like so this activity will help me to get to know them personally while also being able to quickly assess their writing. 


                                                    You can grab it here for free

Free first day of school activity


This activity is set up so students can get as personal as they choose. They can tell me about their favorite colors or subjects, awkward living situations, funny anecdotes, their likes, and dislikes. Anything that they share will help me to get to know them better as an individual. 

Personal information such as their living situations can help teachers be more emphatic to a student's emotional well-being. In addition, it has a purpose in the academic classroom. This information can be used later on in my teaching by trying to find articles or topics they might enjoy reading and learning more about. Argument essays will be easier for them to write if I find topics that are relevant to them. It's a win-win situation! 


If you are interested in more back to school activities, click here for growth mindset, flip books, and writing assessments

No comments

Back to Top